Last Updated: 27 April 2018
By Maynard Paton
This page describes how to upgrade to a new version of Sendy, and uses terms defined within my Installing Sendy and Virtualmin on AWS guide.
The Sendy software alerts you to available upgrades within the bottom-left corner:
Before commencing this process, you will need to access your AWS server through Cyberduck. Please read my Cyberduck instructions before undertaking the following steps.
Furthermore, I recommend you upgrade Sendy after you have created a snapshot of your AWS server and then updated the server’s operating software through Virtualmin.
That way you ensure your server and Sendy software become up to date all in one go, and you have a backup copy of your server should something go wrong.
Before you create a snapshot/update your server's operating software/upgrade Sendy, please ensure you are NOT logged in to Sendy and are NOT sending any campaigns during the entire process!
This page uses some of the definitions from my Installing Sendy and Virtualmin on AWS guide. Also, the screenshots below were taken from a Mac. Please follow along as best you can if you use Windows :-)
Here are the steps to follow
1) Create a snapshot of your AWS server by following these instructions.
2) Update your AWS server’s operating software by following these instructions.
3) Visit the Sendy website and download the new version of Sendy:
Unzip the zip file on to your computer. It should create a new folder called Sendy.
4) Now take a look at Sendy’s official upgrade instructions on the Sendy website:
We shall be following these instructions, except for number 3 (I have assumed you are using the default English language set-up).
Once connected, navigate to the home/Your Chosen Subdomain/public_html folder:
Within the /home/Your Chosen Subdomain/public_html folder, locate the /includes/config.php file.
6) Right-click the /includes/config.php file and select Download To:
7) Within the unzipped Sendy folder on your computer, select the includes folder and then select Choose:
8) You should be asked whether you wish to overwrite this file. Select Overwrite and Continue:
9) Still within the unzipped Sendy folder on your computer, select the uploads folder, right-click and then select Move To Trash:
10) Back to Cyberduck, and within the /home/Your Chosen Subdomain/public_html folder, right-click then select Upload:
11) Then back to the unzipped Sendy folder on your computer, use CTRL + A to select ALL the subsidiary files and folders.
Make sure Show Hidden Files is NOT selected.
Then select Upload:
12) You should be asked whether you wish to overwrite all of the files and folders. Select Overwrite for all of the files and folders, and then Continue:
(Note: if a message appears asking about 'fingerprints', select Allow:)
Your Sendy installation will now be upgraded to the latest version.
13) Once the file transfers have completed, log in to Sendy and the new upgrade message will have disappeared:
14) Don't forget to select Disconnect within Cyberduck:
Congratulations! You have now upgraded to a new version of Sendy!
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please let me know so I can keep this website as helpful as possible.
(Want to learn more? Click here to visit the full website index.)
It is definitely worth considering Sendy.
I currently have a list of 24,560 subscribers, and if I want to send a campaign to that list, I might end up spending $250 per campaign in MailChimp.
But now I spend only about $3 per campaign, which allows me to send more than five campaigns per month and saves me more than $1,200 per month.
MailChimp 'Disruptor'. $59 One-Off Fee. Full Refund Available.